To combat unnecessary vehicle accident deaths and injuries, Caltrans needed to educate motorists about safe and legal driving in and around highway work zones.
Our SAGE Approach
Sagent created a comprehensive statewide campaign that spoke to the general driving public but also focused on research-driven audience segments with disproportionately high collision rates – Hispanic and teen drivers.
We put a human face to the problem by using children of Caltrans workers and the message: “Be alert, my dad’s—or mom’s—at work.” To connect with teen audiences, we worked with iHeart Media to run a Work Zone Social Challenge that encouraged teens to take a safe driving pledge with the chance to win prizes. Sagent also helped develop a virtual reality experience where users could sense firsthand the dangers of working in a work zone.
- Developed and coordinated safe driving presentations to more than 75 high schools and other venues, reaching 48,000 teen drivers.
- Total pledges taken reached over 4,000 for the Work Zone Social Challenge.
- 58% of drivers aware of the campaign reported they were more careful when driving through highway work zones.
- 77% of those who recall advertising claim it influenced their driving habits in work zones.
- Launched a campaign website with over 1 million views.
- Received national recognition as winner of the American Road & Transportation Builders Association’s Roadway Work Zone Safety Awareness Award.